1515 Memorial Drive

Manitowoc, WI 54220

(920) 684-5575

Fax: (920) 684-1915

Mon - Fri: 8:00 - 4:30

#ThinkLovePlay

Menu

Historical Society installs historic windmill

February 08, 2019
A new symbol of Wisconsin's agricultural heritage can now be seen at the Manitowoc County Historical Society, located at 924 Pinecrest Road in Manitowoc. Community members and volunteers came together to install a historic windmill earlier this year. The windmill, now located outside the museum's McAllister House Welcome Center, was donated to the Society by Joseph and Susan Resch. Manitowoc County Historical Society volunteers, Rick Herman and Mark Leonhard, prepared the windmill to be in working condition. The Society partnered with Vinton Construction Company and McMullen & Pitz Construction Company to install the windmill. 

Originally located in section 19 in the Town of Kossuth, Manitowoc County, the windmill was likely erected by landowner John Havlovitz around 1924. Mr. Havlovitz was born at the farm in 1901, son of Bohemian immigrant Mathias and Elizabeth (Shebesta) Havlovitz. Mathias and Elizabeth retired from farming in 1917 and John, and his wife, Agnes (Shimek) took over the property. They farmed in the Town of Kossuth until 1973. The farm was then sold to Marvin and Diane (Hurda) Augustine and upon Diane's death, the farm was owned by their friend, Michael Adsit. Adsit later sold the farm to Joseph and Susan Resch, who donated the windmill to the museum. 

The windmill, which is also the symbol in the museum's logo, will be used as a visual representation of local agricultural history, both with school groups and general visitors. 
 
 
About the Manitowoc County Historical Society
Nestled in the scenic rolling Ice Age Kettle Moraine countryside of Eastern Wisconsin, the Manitowoc County Historical Society is a museum of living history. This 60-acre interpretive museum of local history features a Welcome Center with local history exhibits and research services and the outdoor Pinecrest Historical Village - a collection of over 25 historic buildings with period furnishings from Manitowoc County's early settlers. 
 
Pinecrest Historical Village began in 1970 with a land donation from the Hugo and Eleanor Vetting family.  The Village has grown to represent a reproduction of a small Wisconsin community during the early 1900s. The buildings form the commercial, social, and political core of a town and they represent several architectural styles of Wisconsin's history. The furnishings, items, and tools in the various buildings used by the Pinecrest Village interpreters are either original pieces or carefully researched reproductions. 

For more information on the Manitowoc County Historical Society, contact the museum at (920) 684-4445 or ManitowocCountyHistory.org. 
 
Contact:
Amy Meyer, Executive Director
(920) 684-4445